Contact Greg Sommer
: Chappaqua, New York
Devon is a 10 year old red Shiba Inu (we have tons of pics). He keeps to himself a lot. During the day, he doesn't spend a lot of time with us. He is very independent.
We had our first child 11 months ago. He is better with her than I anticipated he would be but he is still a concern with her, and as she starts to crawl/walk we are worried that she can enter his space more easily.
In the full-disclosure column:
- He has never bitten anyone, but he will nip (without contact) and/or show his teeth
- He doesn't know or listen to any commands, including coming when he is called. He can be bribed with food, but that's the full extend of his 'tricks'
- Not good with other dogs or kids (although we have another dog - a Bichon Frise - and they get along
- He chews our rug pads...used to chew our rugs and furniture, later-in-life than would be expected
- He hates bugs, and basically refuses to go outside during the Summer-days. Only at night
- He stopped letting us comb his hair recently, and he sheds, so its becoming burdensome
- He was on doggy Prozac, but we made the decision to stop that recently because it wasn't doing any good...possibly even negative effects. We have noticed an improvement since discontinuing use of the Prozac
That being said, there was a period in his life where he was very loving, especially to my wife. He seems to take to people who don't fear him (like our dog walker, dog sitter, one of our two nannys, one-time dog trainer). He is loyal to our family, and people he knows/remembers. He is a beautiful dog, even at his advanced age. Larger than your standard Shiba. Is current with all vaccines.
We love him, and this was not an easy decision for us. It's what we feel is best for our children [current and future], and ultimately what is best for him...we don't feel that we are giving him what he needs.
We will thoroughly screen all potential adopters to make sure Devon finds a suitable home where he can live his remaining years getting the attention we cannot provide him anymore.
This is a Courtesy Listing. If you are interested in adopting this dog please use the contact information provided above. All negotiations regarding the adoption will be carried out privately between the adopter and the current caretaker. Since we cannot guarantee any listed dog, prospective owners are encouraged to obtain as much information as possible prior to adoption in order to determine if a particular dog is the right match for their particular circumstances and environment. Adopted dogs are the sole responsibility of the adopting party.